Sunday, April 24, 2011

Weight Loss?

     I have lost 5 pounds as compared with my weight before the pacemaker was inserted. This morning when Joan ran, and I walked, along the C and O Canal towpath near Great Falls, I pondered the fact that my heart was having to work harder than before. I reasoned that, if during six hours sleep at night my heart had been beating at 40 bpm and was now beating at 60 bpm, for 360 minutes of sleep my heart would beat 7,200 beats more than previously. Wouldn't those 7,200 beats translate into a good number of calories? I decided to Google the subject of "calories per heart beat" when I got home. The result was disappointing. Dozens of sites, of course--as there seem to be for anything one Googles, no matter how abstruse--but one site did come up with a figure. After a long description of how the result was obtained, the figure was 0.01 calories per heartbeat. So 7,200 would amount to 72 calories. So any contribution to my weight loss must be negligible--and negated by an extra slice of bread or half a cup of milk.

No comments: